Facts & Origin
PROFILE: Dogo Canario Pit Bull Mix - An impressive powerhouse.
The Dogo Canario Pit Bull Mix combines two impressive dog breeds: the Dogo Canario (also known as the Presa Canario) from the Canary Islands and the American Pit Bull Terrier. Both breeds have a history as working dogs, with the Dogo Canario traditionally used as a herding dog and the American Pit Bull Terrier used in a variety of working environments.
The Dogo Canario Pit Bull Mix is an impressive dog that shines in both strength and loyalty . For experienced dog owners looking for a loyal, alert and active companion, this mix is an excellent choice. With proper education, training and social integration, he can develop into a loving family member. It is important to provide him with enough exercise and mental stimulation so he can live a balanced and happy life.
|Origin||USA - Spain|
|Life expectancy||10 - 12 years|
|FCI group||not recognised|
|AKC group||not recognised|
|KC group||not recognised|
Attitude, character and temperament of the breed
Possible character traits
- Loyalty: This mix has a deep loyalty to their family, but can be reserved towards strangers.
- Intelligence: they are very smart and capable of learning, which makes them excellent companions.
- Energy: Both parent breeds are active, which means their mixed breed offspring can also be energetic.
- Alertness: their natural protective instincts make them efficient watchdogs.
Suitability and attitude
The Dogo Canario Pit Bull Mix is particularly suitable for:
- Experienced dog owners due to their size and strong will.
- Active families who have enough time to train and play with their dog.
- House with a garden where they can roam freely. Because of their strong protective instinct, social and obedient training should be started early.
Care and health
- Coat Care: Their short haired coat requires minimal grooming, with regular brushing being sufficient.
- Exercise: This mix needs plenty of exercise, both physical and mental.
- Health: as with all mixed breed dogs, it is important to schedule regular vet visits and watch for possible health problems in both parent breeds.
What does this mixed breed look like?
The Dogo Canario Pit Bull Mix has a robust and muscular build. Coat color can vary, but often brindle or fawn tints are seen with possible white markings. Their eyes are usually dark and expressive, and they carry a determined and alert look.
The Dogo Canario Pit Bull mix is described as intelligent, loyal, friendly and energetic, although there can be differences in temperament depending on the parent.
This mixed breed should receive a diet adapted to its age, activity level and size.
Yes, this dog can be kept in an apartment, but it must be trained regularly and extensively, as well as get enough exercise.