Facts & Origin
What is the origin of this breed of dog?
The American Bully originates in the USA in the 1980s and 1990s. It is a hybrid dog and is considered a breed of bulldog.
What are the breed characteristics?
The most striking feature of this breed is probably the fact that it is a hybrid dog, i.e. a mix of several breeds. It originated in crossing the American Staffordshire Terrier with the American Pit Bull Terrier. Other crosses were added over time, including the American Bulldog, French and English Bulldog, the so-called Olde English Bulldog and molossoid breeds. The term "molossoid" stems from "Molosser" and describes all dog breeds that have a big, herculean-like build. This breed was recognised in 2004 by the ABKC breed club and in 2013 by the American Bully Kennel Club. The cropped ears of this hybrid breed cannot be overlooked. However, cropping is prohibited in this country!
What are the breed characteristics of the American bully?
The American Bully Kennel Club (ABKC) is an association that was founded in 2004. Based on its breed characteristics, it divided the Bully into four size categories:
- American Bully Standard: This is the prototype of the bully. Its height measures between 43 and 51 centimeters. Its head is broad, the body strong and muscular. The legs are rather short and the tail is to be considered medium length for its height. There are numerous variations of coat colour and eye colour.
- American Bully Pocket: The Pocket is smaller than the Standard Bully's. For males this is a height of 43 centimeters and for females a maximum of 36 centimeters. Apart from that, it has all the features of the standard American Bully.
- American Bully XXL: The XXL breed variation is larger than standard. Males reach a maximum height of 51 centimeters and females a maximum of 54 centimeters.
- American Bully Classic: The Classic differs from the standard regarding their body structure. It looks lighter, less compact and muscular, but still has the same "beefy" features as the standard breed.
|Life expectancy||10 - 12 years|
|FCI group||not recognised|
|AKC group||not recognised|
|KC group||not recognised|
Attitude, character and temperament of the breed
What are the typical characteristics of the American Bully?
This type of dog is considered a companion and family dog that is empathetic and able to adapt very well. Due to its gentle nature, it is ought to be friendly towards loved ones as well as children and strangers. With this breed it was aimed to create a being that is bursting with health and impresses with its appearance, while at the same time being harmonious calm from within.
The bully was bred as a companion and friendlier (some say: too friendly) version of a watchdog. It is active but more fatigue than a Pit Bull Terrier or a Staffordshire Terrier. In addition to this, it is loyal, stable, calm and is considered an optimal family dog. No dog is perfect - this also applies to the bully. It is known for its stubbornness and dominance.
Health and breeding information
What are typical diseases for this type of dog?
The most feared and most common of diseases in this type are degenerative diseases that arise due to breeding. In general, you have to consider that this type of dog breed is said to be prone to develop many different types of diseases.
Common diseases in Bullys:
- Hip dysplasia (HD) is a chronic musculoskeletal disorder. This disease is hereditary, which is why breeding associations only allow dogs that ae not affected by HD.
- Patellar luxation (PL) is a dislocation of the knee joint. It is hereditary, but can also occur as a result of an accident.
- Elbow dysplasia (ED) is a chronic developmental disorder of the still growing skeleton. This disease is also hereditary, but it can also result from incorrect feeding or lack of movement.
American Bully breeding
The top priority that you should keep in mind when choosing a breeder is their respectability. As the breeding of this hybrid dog is becoming more popular in Germany, there are a large number of breeders existing. When buying an American Bully, you usually have to expect a prize between EUR 1,000 and 2,000. When buying an American Bully puppy you should note that the breeder publicly publishes health evaluations of their breed. Reputable breeders value the health of their puppies, even if this breed is not included on any official breeding list. You should not underestimate this breed and avoid any risks by properly educating yourself about the nature and keeping of such dogs.
Is the American Bully a List Dog?
The legal situation in Germany, Austria and Switzerland is not clearly regulated. The bully is not an independent breed, which is why it is not on an official list. This means you can own the bully in all three countries, but you should exercise caution.
A first judgment by the Higher Administrative Court of North Rhine-Westphalia is in favour of their owners - the bully is not considered a list dog. Nevertheless the judgment clearly indicates the proximity to list dogs (pedigree, appearance, etc.). Therefore, the legal situation can change at any time. Before you go to buy an American Bully, you should contact a responsible authority.
Appearance and coat of the bully:
- voluminous head,
- extended chest,
- strong bones,
- various color variations
- beefy overall picture.
What is the average size of this hybrid breed?
43 to 51 cm
Pocket American Bully
smaller than 43 cm
bigger than 51 to 57 cm
Classic American Bully
43 to 51 cm, but lighter than the standard version
How much does this breed weigh?
Depending on their individual size and diet, a specimen weighs between 20 and 50 kilograms.
What is the average life span of an American Bully?
The average life span is between 10-12 years.
Suppose he reaches an age of ten years. Since he is considered a medium-sized dog breed, that would be the equivalent of 75 human years.
|Size ♀||43 - 57 cm|
|Weight ♀||20 - 50 kg|
|Size ♂||43 - 57 cm|
|Weight ♂||20 - 50 kg|
No. The American Bully is not a listed dog or a fighting dog.
A pocket puppy can cost up to 3000 Euro, especially with special colouring like Blue or Merle.
Yes, American Bully are allowed in Bavaria because they are not on the list.
Other medium dogs
You can find articles that might interest you in the dogbible blog to match your favorite breed.Visit our magazine