Facts & Origin
Origin and provenance
The French Pointing Dog (Pyrenean Type), also known as the Braque Français, Type Pyrénées, is a breed of dog that originated in France, specifically in the mountainous region of the Pyrenees. This breed belongs to the group of pointing dogs and is known for its hunting abilities.
- Historical roots: The breed developed from various local hunting dogs in southwest France and has been optimized over the years for hunting in the Pyrenees.
- Hunting tradition: Traditionally, the Pyrenean type was used for hunting birds and small game. Its ability to work in difficult terrain made it particularly popular with hunters.
Suitability and use
- Hunting abilities: The French Pointing Dog (Pyrenean type) is known for its keen sense of smell and its ability to point game. It is suitable for both field and forest hunting.
- Family companion: In addition to its suitability as a hunting dog, it is also an excellent family dog. Its friendly and affectionate nature makes it an ideal companion.
- Adaptability: It adapts well to different living conditions and can live in both rural and urban environments.
- Temperament: The Pyrenean type is known for its calm and even temperament. He is patient, loyal and shows a great affinity for people.
- Trainability: His intelligence and desire to please make him easy to train, which makes him attractive to both experienced hunters and dog owners.
The French Pointing Dog (Pyrenean type) is a versatile breed with a strong character, suitable both for hunting and as a family member. Its history and adaptability make it a valued companion for active people looking for an intelligent and loyal dog.
|French Pointing Dog Type Pyrenees
|11 - 14 years
|Continental Pointing Dogs
|Foundation Stock Service
Attitude, character and temperament of the breed
- Gentle and friendly: The Pyrenean type is known for its particularly gentle and friendly nature. It shows a natural affection for its family and is particularly fond of children.
- Intelligent and trainable: This breed is characterized by high intelligence and good trainability, which makes it an ideal companion for hunting and family life.
- Social and sociable: The French Pointing Dog (Pyrenean type) is generally very social and compatible with other dogs and pets.
- Attachment to the family: It tends to form a strong bond with its owners and is often eager to please them.
Suitability as a family dog
- Patient with children: His patient nature makes him an excellent family dog, especially for families with children.
- Adaptable: It adapts well to different living conditions and is suitable for both rural and urban life.
Hunting instinct and eagerness to work
- Pronounced hunting instinct: Originally bred for hunting, the Pyrenean type has a strong hunting instinct and shows great commitment and stamina when working.
The French Pointing Dog (Pyrenean type) is a versatile, intelligent and friendly dog that is suitable both for hunting and as a family member. His adaptable and gentle nature makes him an ideal companion for active families looking for a loyal and hard-working dog.
Care of the French Pointing Dog (Pyrenean type)
The French Pointing Dog (Pyrenean Type), also known as the Braque Français, Type Pyrénées, is known for its ease of grooming.
- The coat of the Pyrenean type is short and smooth, which simplifies grooming.
- Regular brushing (once a week) is sufficient to remove dead hair and keep the coat shiny.
- Bathing should only be done when necessary to preserve the skin's natural oils.
Ear and eye care:
- Due to their droopy ears, these should be checked and cleaned regularly to prevent infection.
- The eyes should also be checked regularly.
Dental care and claws:
- Regular teeth brushing and claw trimming are important for overall health.
Health and well-being
- Robust health: In general, the Pyrenean type is a robust breed, but attention should be paid to typical breed diseases.
- Regular veterinary visits are important for vaccinations and health checks.
- Responsible breeding practices: It is important to choose a reputable breeder who places importance on the health and welfare of the dogs.
- Genetic testing: Before breeding, dogs should be tested for hereditary health problems.
- Socialization: Early socialization of puppies is crucial for the development of a balanced character.
The French Pointing Dog (Pyrenean type) is an easy to care for and healthy dog that is well suited to families and hunters. Responsible care and breeding contribute significantly to ensuring the well-being of this breed.
Appearance of the French Pointing Dog (Pyrenean type)
The French Pointing Dog (Pyrenean Type), also known as the Braque Français, Type Pyrénées, is characterized by its elegant and athletic appearance, which makes it ideal both as a hunting dog and as a companion dog.
- Texture: The coat is short, dense and smooth, which makes it easy to groom and is typical of hunting dogs.
- Colors: Common coat colors are brown and white in various shades and patterns, sometimes with patches or marbled patterns that give the breed a unique look.
Care of the coat
- Regular brushing is recommended to keep the coat clean and shiny.
- Bathing: Only when necessary to preserve the natural oils in the coat.
Physique and appearance
- Elegance and strength: The Pyrenean type is characterized by an elegant but robust build.
- Head: The head is well proportioned with expressive eyes and striking facial markings.
Height and weight
- Males have an average shoulder height of 55 to 65 cm and weigh around 25 to 30 kg.
- Females are usually slightly smaller and lighter with a height of 53 to 63 cm and a weight of 22 to 28 kg.
The French Pointing Dog (Pyrenean type) is an attractive and versatile dog that is easy to groom. Its size and weight make it a medium-sized dog suitable for a variety of activities. This type is ideal for hunting and dog lovers looking for an elegant yet robust companion.