Large dogs are a popular choice for many pet lovers. These dogs usually have a size of 45 centimeters and more, making them larger than medium and small dogs.
Dogs have always been faithful companions of man and are often called best friends. It is especially large dogs that are particularly popular in many families. But why should you get a big dog in your family? In this blog post, you will learn more about the advantages that these imposing animals bring with them, as well as some disadvantages that should be considered.
Some of the most famous large dog breeds are:
- German Shepherd
- Labrador Retriever
- Golden Retriever
- Bernese Mountain Dog
- Rhodesian Ridgeback
Advantages of large dogs:
- Protection and safety: due to their size and strength, large dogs provide a certain level of protection for the family. They can deter potential danger and even intervene in an emergency.
- Activity and exercise: Large dogs tend to have a higher urge to exercise, which leads to the family being more active overall. Long walks, hikes and sports activities are shared experiences that strengthen family bonds.
- Longevity: many large dog breeds have a longer life expectancy than smaller breeds. This means you will enjoy your four-legged friend longer.
- Good naturedness: Large dogs are often very patient and friendly with children. They put up with a lot and can grow up to be reliable and loving companions.
Disadvantages with such large four-legged friends:
- Space requirements: large dogs need more space, both in the apartment and in the car. So you should have enough space for your new family member to feel comfortable.
- Cost of food: Since large dogs require more food, the cost of food is usually higher than for smaller dogs.
- Grooming: Large dogs often have more fur, which leads to more grooming. Regular brushing and bathing are necessary to prevent matting and odors.
- Insurance and Taxes: In many countries, large dogs incur higher dog taxes and insurance premiums, which increases ongoing costs.
A large dog can be a wonderful addition to family life if you make a conscious decision to take on the responsibility and weigh the pros and cons. With the right breed and loving training, your large dog will become a loyal companion and protector, enriching family life in a very special way.
Large dogs at a glance with pictures
to stay up to date on dog trends.
Find here the breed that suits you and find out what character traits it has. Here you can also learn more about the origin, size and weight of your favorite breeds.
Matching your favorite breed, you'll find articles that might interest you on the dogbible dog blog.
Dogs in car - what to watch out for, legal situation and important information
Allergy dog: Hypoallergenic breeds really exist?
Vegan dog food - polarizing topic
3 tips to teach the "stay" and establish it permanently as a trick