Facts & Origin
Origin and history
The Braque Saint-Germain, an elegant and traditional pointing dog breed, has its origins in France.
- Origin: This breed was developed in France in the middle of the 19th century. It was created by crossing French pointing dogs with English pointers, which gave it unique characteristics.
- Development: The Braque Saint-Germain was bred to create a dog with excellent hunting skills and a gentle nature. Their breeding placed particular emphasis on endurance, speed and a good nose.
- Historical significance: Originally used for hunting in the vast forests and plains of France, the Braque Saint-Germain quickly gained recognition for its versatility and noble appearance.
Suitability and use
The Braque Saint-Germain is a versatile dog, suitable both for hunting and as a family companion.
- Hunting abilities: Its strong hunting instinct and ability to work in the field as well as in the forest make it an excellent hunting dog. It is particularly adept at pointing and retrieving.
- Family dog: In addition to its suitability as a hunting dog, the Braque Saint-Germain is also known for its friendly and even temperament, which makes it a wonderful family dog.
- Adaptability: This breed adapts well to different environments and lifestyles. It is suitable for both country life and an urban environment, provided it receives sufficient exercise and mental stimulation.
The Braque Saint-Germain is a versatile and elegant dog breed, ideal for hunting activities and as a loving family companion. Their adaptability and friendly nature make them a valued member of any household. When acquiring a Braque Saint-Germain, its need for regular exercise and mental challenge should be considered to ensure the dog's health and well-being.
|Braque Charles, Braque Compiegne, St. Germain Pointing Dog, Saint Germain Pointer, Braco de Saint Germain
|11 - 14 years
|average to high
|Continental Pointing Dogs
|Foundation Stock Service
Attitude, character and temperament of the breed
Character traits of the Braque Saint-Germain
- Friendly and even temperament: The Braque Saint-Germain is known for its friendly and even temperament. It shows a pleasant composure and calmness, which makes it an ideal family dog.
- Intelligence and attentiveness: This breed is characterized by its intelligence and attentiveness. It is capable of learning and responds well to training, making it an excellent working dog.
- Loyalty and attachment: The Braque Saint-Germain is loyal and forms a close bond with its owners. It is a faithful companion and appreciates being close to the family.
Temperament and social behavior
- Social and friendly behavior: The Braque Saint-Germain is social and friendly towards people and other animals. It gets along well with children and is a pleasant housemate.
- Active nature: As a working dog, the Braque Saint-Germain needs regular exercise and mental stimulation to stay happy and healthy.
- Adaptability: It adapts well to different living conditions and can live well in both rural and urban environments as long as it is kept sufficiently occupied.
The Braque Saint-Germain is a versatile, intelligent and loyal dog, ideal for active families and as a faithful companion. Its even-tempered nature and adaptability make it a valuable member of any household. It is important to consider her needs for regular exercise and mental stimulation to ensure she leads a full and healthy life.
Care of the Braque Saint-Germain
The Braque Saint-Germain, known for its noble appearance and hunting abilities, requires appropriate grooming.
- Coat care: The coat is short, smooth and relatively easy to care for. Regular brushing, about once a week, is recommended to keep the coat clean and shiny.
- Bathing: Frequent bathing is not necessary. An occasional bath with a mild dog shampoo is sufficient to keep the coat in good condition.
- Ear and claw care: The ears should be checked regularly for signs of infection and cleaned. Claws should be trimmed when necessary to ensure healthy paws.
The Braque Saint-Germain is generally a robust and healthy breed, but there are some health aspects that should be considered.
- Regular veterinary check-ups: Regular visits to the vet are important to monitor overall health and react early to any potential problems.
- Diet and exercise: A balanced diet and regular physical activity are crucial to avoid obesity and associated health problems.
Breeding and selection
Care should be taken when purchasing a Braque Saint-Germain.
- Responsible breeders: Choose a reputable breeder who attaches importance to the health and well-being of the dogs.
- Health tests: Find out whether the breeder carries out necessary health tests to rule out hereditary diseases.
- Puppy selection: Pay attention to the temperament and health of the puppy as well as the behavior of the parents.
The Braque Saint-Germain is an easy-care, healthy dog with a strong character, ideal for hunting activities and as a loyal family companion. Conscious breeding and careful selection are crucial to ensure a healthy and happy life for this special breed.
Coat texture and color
The Braque Saint-Germain, an elegant and noble French pointing dog breed, impresses with its attractive coat and appealing appearance.
- Coat type: The coat is short, fine and smooth. This makes the coat easy to care for and gives the dog a well-groomed, elegant appearance.
- Coloring: Characteristic of this breed is the white base color with light brown to orange patches. The even distribution of these patches contributes to the characteristic and appealing appearance.
The Braque Saint-Germain is known for its aesthetic appearance and athletic build.
- Physique: It has a slender but strong physique that is synonymous with speed and agility. Its proportions are balanced, making it suitable for various types of hunting.
- Head shape: The head is long and well proportioned to the body, with smooth lines and expressive dark eyes that give the dog an intelligent and alert expression.
Size and weight
Size and weight are decisive for their agility and performance.
- Height: The average shoulder height is around 56 cm to 61 cm for males and 54 cm to 59 cm for females, making them a medium sized dog.
- Weight: The average weight is between 18 kg and 25 kg, depending on sex and individual constitution.
The Braque Saint-Germain is a medium-sized dog with a characteristic, low-maintenance coat and striking spotting. Its size and weight make it an ideal companion for hunting activities and for active families. Regular brushing and a balanced diet are important to promote their health and well-being.