Facts & Origin
Origin and provenance
The Epagneul de Pont-Audemer is a rare French dog breed that originated in the Normandy region. This breed is particularly well known in the town of Pont-Audemer, from which it takes its name.
- Origin: The Epagneul de Pont-Audemer was created in the 19th century by crossing various Spaniel and Setter breeds.
- Background: It was originally bred for hunting in the marshy and watery areas of Normandy.
- Appearance: Its wavy, waterproof coat and the characteristic "wig"-like growth of hair on the head are striking.
- Size: The Epagneul de Pont-Audemer is a medium-sized dog known for its agility and stamina.
Suitability and use
- Hunting qualities: Designed as a hunting dog, it is characterized by its pointing and retrieving abilities. It is particularly effective in wet and marshy hunting areas.
- Family dog: His balanced and friendly nature makes him an excellent family dog. It is known for its affectionate and gentle behavior towards children.
- Versatility: In addition to hunting, the Epagneul de Pont-Audemer is also suitable for various dog sports and as a loyal companion in active families.
- Rarity: Today, the Epagneul de Pont-Audemer is one of the rarer dog breeds and is mainly kept by enthusiasts and connoisseurs.
- Protection of the breed: Efforts to preserve and promote the breed are important in order to preserve its unique characteristics and heritage.
The Epagneul de Pont-Audemer is a versatile and charming dog that excels in both hunting and family life. Its special heritage and unique appearance make it an interesting companion for hunting enthusiasts and dog lovers looking for a rare and loyal companion.
|Epagneul de Pont-Audemer, Spaniel de Pont-Audemère, Épagneul de Pont-Audemer
|12 - 14 years
|Continental Pointing Dogs
|Foundation Stock Service
Attitude, character and temperament of the breed
Character traits of the Epagneul de Pont-Audemer
- Friendly and sociable:
- This dog is known for its friendly and sociable nature. He forms positive relationships with his family and other dogs.
Intelligent and adaptable:
- The Epagneul de Pont-Audemer is characterized by high intelligence and willingness to learn. It adapts easily to different environments and situations.
Playful and energetic:
- This breed is lively and playful, making it a great playmate for children.
Working and hunting instinct
- The Epagneul de Pont-Audemer was originally bred for hunting and has a strong working and hunting instinct. It loves to complete tasks and is particularly talented at hunting.
- As a family dog, the Epagneul de Pont-Audemer is very affectionate and loving. He appreciates being close to his humans and is a loyal companion.
Training and socialization
- Early socialization and consistent training are important to shape its intelligent and sometimes headstrong character. With patience and positive reinforcement, he responds well to training.
The Epagneul de Pont-Audemer is an ideal companion for active families looking for an intelligent, playful and affectionate dog. His adaptability and cheerful nature make him a wonderful family member and a capable hunting dog.
Grooming the Epagneul de Pont-Audemer
The Epagneul de Pont-Audemer is a high-maintenance dog whose well-being depends heavily on regular and careful grooming.
- Regular brushing: The wavy to curly coat should be brushed several times a week to prevent matting and knots.
- Bathing: Bathing should be done when necessary, taking care not to remove the coat's natural oil.
- Due to his droopy ears, it is important to check and clean them regularly for signs of infection.
Claw and dental care:
- Claws should be clipped when necessary and teeth should be cleaned regularly to maintain overall health.
Health and prevention
- The Epagneul de Pont-Audemer is generally a robust breed, but some health aspects should be taken into account:
- Hip dysplasia: As with many medium to large sized dogs, hip dysplasia can be a problem. Regular check-ups and an appropriate diet are important.
- Regular veterinary examinations: These help to identify and treat any health problems at an early stage.
Breeding and responsibility
- Responsible breeding practices: To maintain the health of the breed, breeders should perform genetic testing and only use healthy animals for breeding.
- Preservation of the breed: As the Epagneul de Pont-Audemer is rare, it is important that breeders take care to preserve the genetic diversity and characteristic traits of the breed.
The care and health of the Epagneul de Pont-Audemer requires attention and care. With the right care and responsible breeding, this rare and beautiful breed can lead a healthy and happy life.
Appearance of the Epagneul de Pont-Audemer
The Epagneul de Pont-Audemer is known for its striking and attractive appearance. It embodies a perfect blend of elegance and robustness, which makes it ideal both for hunting and as a pet.
- The coat is medium-long, wavy to curly and particularly characteristic of the breed.
- It offers natural protection against water and harsh weather conditions.
- The most common coat colors are brown or liver, often with white markings.
- Head: The "wig" of curly hair is unique, giving the dog a distinctive appearance.
- Eyes and expression: The eyes are dark and reflect an intelligent and alert nature.
Size and weight
- Height: 52 to 58 cm shoulder height on average.
- Weight: Between 20 and 25 kg.
- Slightly smaller and lighter than males.
Care of the coat
- Regular gro oming is important to keep the coat in good condition.
- Brushing: At least once a week to prevent matting and keep the coat shiny.
The Epagneul de Pont-Audemer is not only a capable and enduring hunting dog, but also an eye-catching and charming companion. Its wavy coat, combined with its medium-sized stature and friendly expression, makes it a popular dog for both hunters and families. Grooming his special coat requires attention, but his adaptability and characteristic appearance are worth the effort.